Safe2Race Insight Sensor
Control and Competitor Safety
Safe2Race Active Marshalling System (AMS) by Aim Technologies ensures that the assessment of an incident is no longer delayed by Marshalls’ attending an incident and judgement being made as to what track conditions to implement given the incident type. The system’s algorithm pre-determines the likely incident type given the data collected and instantly notifies the drivers of the appropriate flag condition for the incident.
The wrong assessment of an incident or inappropriate, unsafe or overzealous judgement being made can impact the drivers’ race performance. Unnecessary or insufficient safety precautions implemented are avoided by the highly advanced algorithm negating human error. The system allows AI to assess all data variables to accurately assess the incident given the data collected and automatically implement the correct safety precautions needed, if any.
Insight Sensor Technology
The Safe2Race AMS system integrates Insight sensor technology to offer unrivalled safety features that have never before been available in Motorsport:
- Provides feedback and notifies if a helmet is unfit for purpose following an impact
- AI data assessment within 5 seconds of any impact
- Cost-effective, low-power, integrated and wireless technology (1)
- 300-hour active use time without charging or battery replacement
- Offers the option to receive, store, compare and share data via the Insight smartphone App (2)
- Records the time, location, magnitude and force transfer of an impact
- Highlights brain injury based on rotational motion during an impact
- AI uses impact data to grade potential injury severity and likely clinical outcomes
- Faster and more reliable triage, diagnosis and care pathway decisions
- Protected electronics in a water, moisture and dust proof casing
Personal Protective Equipment
Helmets are the only piece of personal protective equipment used to protect the brain against the effects of head impacts. Studies have shown that helmets can effectively reduce the risk of skull fracture and severe brain injuries, but their capability in avoiding milder brain injuries, particularly those caused by head rotation, with our Insight Sensor, we can give you almost instant results of the medical condition of the person wearing the helmet, after the accident, at a location and devise you decide.
Currently there is no integrated sensor technology providing feedback on the performance and condition of a helmet. Furthermore, there is no way that users can assess the significance of any impact on their helmets, whether there is the potential for a concussive brain injury or simply whether their helmet is still fit for purpose following a drop or a collision. Without real data on the nature of an impact, the individual is left to make purely subjective assessments which can lead to them failing to get appropriate medical attention or continuing to use an ineffective helmet, both of which can have very serious consequences.
The Insight sensor provides an immediate insight into these important questions, removing the entirely subjective nature of a user’s decision. This cost-effective technology delivers relevant feedback following a collision or a lower-level impact through its integration into the helmet’s protection layer.
The Insight sensor combines low-power technology protected within its non-Newtonian smart-polymer casing. The state-of-the-art device has been designed and optimised toreliably gather typical impact and collision data:
- CONTINUOUS MONITORING – Low-power, integrated, wireless technology enables the device to be in constant operation whilst the helmet is worn and always gather data to check for impacts.
- LIFETIME POWER – The ultra-efficient energy usage of the device ensures a 300-hour active usage time without charging or battery replacement.
- SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION – Through the smartphone app, the wearer can receive, store and compare information across multiple devices and share information with other users.
- AUTOMATED CONTACT – The smartphone app can dial an emergency number or a designated contact person if the sensor detects an impact above a certain threshold.
The Insight sensor provides critical data and feedback about helmet impacts. This data supports a greater understanding of the potential brain injuries that can happen in a collision as well as the effect on the condition of their helmet and whether a replacement may be advisable. Each of the unique capabilities of the Insight sensor can be specifically tailored to support the unique requirements of any sport/function:
IMPACT DETECTION AND SIGNALLING
The Insight sensor can detect the force transferred within a helmet that has been subject to an external impact. The sensor records the impact magnitude and the force transfer to the wearer, as well as the time and location, automatically triggering a call to be made via the app.
BRAIN ROTATION INSIGHT
Developed alongside leading research, the sensor can identify the rotational motion that can be transferred to the brain during a collision. This helps to highlight the likelihood of concussion or Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries (MTBIs) by paramedics and medical staff.
Not only can large impacts cause a helmet to be less effective in the future, but repeated smaller impacts can have similar detrimental effects on its protective properties. Where this is not typically noticed by the wearer, the Insight sensor can monitor the integrity of the
helmet over time and provide alerts when it predicts deterioration below a pre-set threshold.
COLLISION DATA REPORTS
The Insight sensor is able to record and analyse impact parameters such as direction, force and rotational acceleration
in order to provide first responders (eg. paramedics) with detailed information about with detailed information about the wearer’s likely brain injuries following a collision. This additional information can support faster and more reliable triage, diagnosis and care pathway decisions especially where there are multiple crash victims in differing conditions.
Sensors are sealed for life, fully waterproof and protected against the effects of dust and moisture. Cased in patented proprietary materials that ensures the electronics will survive all typical impact conditions to provide valuable insights after the event.